Beets are great! They are a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. This soup is flavourful, rich in protein, and a vibrant red and green. Perfect for chilly nights and special dinners.
2 tbs vegetable oil, such as olive oil or grapeseed oil
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium sized red beets, cooked, peeled, and diced or grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ white cabbage, cut into thin strips
2 bay leaves
1 19 oz can white beans or cannellini beans with liquid
2 tbs tomato paste
Juice from one lemon
2-4 tbs fresh dill, chopped (can used dried)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat and lightly sauté the onion, celery, and carrot for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beets and garlic and continue cooking for another two minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Add potatoes, cabbage, beans and bay leaves. Cover the pot and allow to cook 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and cabbage are soft.
- Add lemon juice, tomato paste and chopped dill. Stir to mix and cook for five more minutes.
- Serve with vegan sour crème
Notes: For this recipe you can use pre-cooked beets, or boil or roast your beets in advance and then remove the peel.
Cindy Solkin is a Nutritionist at BodaHealth in Vancouver, British Columbia.