- 2 tablespoons oil (coconut, butter, olive or grapeseed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash (smaller), peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1-2 cups chopped leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, or brussel sprouts)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to season
- 1 can/jar diced or strained tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons/half a small can tomato paste
- 1 large can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
For Serving: fresh lime juice, and optional garnishes such as cilantro, avocado, plain yogurt, sour cream, or grated cheese.
Fry onions in oil until translucent. Add butternut squash and spices and stir. Add garlic, remaining vegetables, tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook for ten minutes. Add the beans and cook until all ingredients are tender.
Dr. Jeda Boughton is a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Registered Acupuncturist in Vancouver. She is also a Registered Herbologist and the founder of BodaHealth.