Ingredients for filling:
- Ground meat or meat substitute
- Onion, 1 medium, chopped
- Mushrooms, any variety, chopped
- Small chunk of peeled & diced ginger root
- 2-3 cloves of garlic diced/pressed
And iceberg, butter or romaine lettuce for wrapping the meat mixture
Ingredients for Hoisin sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy, tamari or braggs sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter (plain/natural, no sugar or other additives)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped or grated ginger root
- 1 tsp. miso or black bean paste (we prefer miso)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic chopped or pressed
- 1/2-1 tsp honey
- 1-2 tbsp. rice vinegar (or more to taste)
- dash sesame oil
- dash pepper (any kind)
Fry onions and mushrooms in coconut oil, butter, ghee, or another oil until the onions are soft. Add ground meat and ginger and cook until the meat is fully cooked. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
While the meat is cooking, put the hoisin sauce ingredients in a jar and shake well. When the meat mixture is fully cooked, add the sauce to the meat mixture and stir well.
Serve warm on lettuce leaves with optional hot chili sauce, lime wedges, and/or rice.
Dr. Jeda Boughton is a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Registered Acupuncturist in Vancouver. She is also a Registered Herbologist and the founder of BodaHealth.