I love chocolate with peanut butter! Here’s a great way to enjoy chocolate peanut butter cups this holiday season, without all the sugar and additives. With just 3 or 4 ingredients, they’re quick and easy to prepare and even make a great gift!
- 1/4 cup natural plain peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar, to taste
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (unsweetened preferred)
- Sea salt and icing sugar for topping (optional)
- Melt the chocolate chips for 1-2 minutes in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, and stir the sugar(s) in with the peanut butter.
2. Spoon 1/4-1/2 tsp melted chocolate into small cupcake or muffin molds
3. Spoon 1/4-1/2 tsp peanut butter mixture and flatten with a spoon
4. Spoon 1/4-1/2 tsp chocolate to cover the peanut butter.
5. Sprinkle with a small amount of sea salt (optional).
6. Freeze for 5-10 minutes for them to set, then sprinkle with icing sugar (optional). Can be stored in fridge or freezer.
Since you can control the amount of sugar you add, you can make them as sweet or as bitter as you want. Let me know how you like them!
Dr. Jeda Boughton is a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Registered Acupuncturist in Vancouver. She is also a Registered Herbologist and the founder of BodaHealth.