2 cups Steel-Cut or Old-Fashion Slow Oats or Rye Flakes
4 cups Filtered Water or cover grains with at least 1” of water
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (unpasteurized) or Fresh Lemon Juice
Soaked Grains Mix (*see above)
¼-½ tsp. Unrefined Sea Salt
Pinch of Organic Dried Cinnamon, Cardamom or Ginger
Organic Ghee or Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic Coconut Milk or Whole Cultured Yogurt (Jerseyland/Saugeen)
Fresh Berries, Stewed Fruit or *Whole Food Sweetener
1. Porridge grains should be soaked overnight for highest benefits & best assimilation.
2. Place whole grains, filtered water & fermenting acid in a pot. Cover and leave in a warm place for at least 8 hours. *Do not throw out the original soak water.
3. In the morning, add sea salt and cinnamon to soaked grain mixture. Place on medium-high heat and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
4. Then cover, turn off heat & let sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
5. Serve with optional additions… clean protein (whip eggs into porridge just before serving), quality fats (coconut milk or full-fat plain yogurt) and a wholesome sweetener (seasonal fruit, maple syrup, unpasteurized honey, “Panela” unrefined cane sugar or Stevia).
Dr. Jeda Boughton is a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Registered Acupuncturist in Vancouver. She is also a Registered Herbologist and the founder of BodaHealth.