There are many ways to stimulate an Acupoint, and one of those ways is through Moxibustion. Sounds like a robust word doesn’t it? Moxibustion an ancient Traditional Chinese Medicine modality, which uses the healing power of burning a dried and often aged plant called “Mugwort” (Chrysanthemum Weed). In medicinal practices, Mugwort is dried and compressed into cigar shaped sticks, which are used to warm areas and or Acupoints on the body. Another method of Moxibustion is using Mugwort “fluff” and or “Moxa wool”. This moxa wool is made into cones and placed on skin with an oil barrier and or a slice of ginger, garlic or a small amount of salt. The moxa cone is ignited with a thin incense for patient safety and the practitioner gives time for the cone to burn slowly, transmitting heat and healing energy which penetrates deep into the body.
Why should you try Moxibustion?
- Moxibustion is a great stimulatory modality to use because it is natural, as Mugwort leaves are dried so well, they do not require any additives or preservatives.
- Moxibustion is also completely painless, and patients often report feeling warmth and a slight tingling sensation during their session.
- Moxibustion can invigorate the corresponding organs when applied over the Acupoints on the back. Once those points are stimulated with Moxa, they are strengthened and are able to function better. Points on the back correspond to every organ on the body, which is why stimulating them for dis-ease or general maintenance is always good.
- Moxibustion is not just used for internal Medicine, but for Musculoskeletal injuries as well, such as strains, sprains, fractures, Arthritis, Tendonitis and much more.
- Moxibustion is widely used in successful weight loss as well as it has the ability to drain excess water and or dampness from within the body through natural means such as promoting sweat and or urination, but it can effectively increases metabolism too!
- Moxibustion is a safe therapeutic modality and is rather safe for patients of all ages, including children.
- Finally, and this is the best part about Moxibustion is its efficacy in prompting an unborn baby to reposition so that their head is facing downwards in preparation for birth! Yes, you read correctly, for breach babies, Moxibustion has been found to have a staggering 89% success rate with Fetus Repositioning so they can be born head first and mothers wanting to avoid a C-section can actually do so!
Needless to say that special caution should be made with the use of moxa as there has to be proper diagnosis for it in the first place. However, if you seek any TCM Licensed professional , you will always be in great hands.
At BodaHealth, our practitioners are experts in using moxibustion. For more information or to book an appointment please give us a call at BodaHealth or click on the link below.