The skin is your largest organ and it is often a reflection of the body’s internal state of health and wellbeing. Not only is it a physical barrier that protects you from pathogens, it’s also a major route of elimination. When you experience an issue with your skin, this can often indicate a more systemic imbalance. Here are some tips to help improve the health and appearance of your skin:
- Drink water. Staying hydrated helps with the tone and texture of your skin and can decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps in the elimination of toxins.
- Avoid inflammatory foods and test for food sensitivities. Foods containing dairy and sugar can increase inflammation in the body that can lead to break outs. At BodaHealth, I offer Food Sensitivity testing that may be indicated with skin issues. Book a consultation to learn more about how this form of testing may benefit you!
- Eat lots of brightly coloured organic fruits and veggies. Vitamins and minerals contribute to healthy skin and collagen production so to avoid nutrient deficiencies, it’s important to get a wide variety of fruits and veggies in your diet.
- Re-evaluate your skin care products. Many personal care products contain an array of chemicals that can harm your skin and act as hormone-disruptors. It’s important to avoid substances such as parabens, phthalates, and SLS, and focus on natural and organic skin care lines.
- Reduce stress and get adequate sleep. Chronic stress can lead to prolonged cortisol secretion and this can wreak havoc on your skin. Make sure you are doing activities that promote relaxation, such as yoga, meditation and spending time in nature.
Not all treatments are appropriate for every patient so it’s always best to see a Naturopathic Doctor for a thorough and accurate diagnosis and to assess your specific needs. Book your appointment today to address your skin health.
Dr. Kyla Buten, ND
is a Licensed Naturopathic
Doctor at BodaHealth
in Vancouver, BC.